Introducing artificial intelligence in a way that feels natural. IHG Hotels & Resorts – known for venerable brands like InterContinental Hotels & Resorts, Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts and Hotel Indigo – has designed the guest room of the future, partnering with Josh.ai to create a voice-controlled smart room at the Kimpton Rowan hotel in Palm Springs, CA.
IHG is the first global hotel company to deploy Josh.ai – which builds upon its award-winning presence in the world’s most advanced residential properties – and is the only AI on the market committed to privacy, data security, and natural interactions with connected living spaces. A 2021 report from Euromonitor found that consumers are actively seeking digital services and experiences, like Josh.ai, which empower users through inclusivity, improve their quality of life, and promote personalization and well-being.
The Josh.ai software features purpose-built natural language processing that understands multiple requests in one command; searches for specific music and video content through deep-linking; and leverages location and contextual awareness. Guests also have limitless capabilities at their fingertips through the intuitively designed Josh app.
“We are constantly exploring next-generation technology to give guests epic experiences as they return to our hotels,” said Brian McGuinness, SVP, Global Guest Experience Shared Services, IHG Hotels & Resorts. “Josh.ai has never been used in a hotel room before and we look forward to discovering how AI can be more widely adopted by our properties around the world. We take great pride in pushing ourselves when it comes to digital innovation in hospitality.”
A first for hotel guest rooms, each brand has been thoughtfully selected to promote well-being and performance, with a design aesthetic fitting of IHG’s Luxury & Lifestyle collection. The “hotel room of the future” explores the potential of guest interaction with their environment and employs connected devices that are borrowed from luxury smart homes across the globe, including:
- Josh Micro is expanding its capabilities beyond convenient and secure automation of the room by introducing built-in hotel concierge responses, ensuring guests are informed of everything the Kimpton and Palm Springs has to offer during their stay.
- Ketra lighting, by Lutron, makes its hotel room debut, promoting well-being through tunable lighting that transitions with the natural rhythms of daylight. Guests can set the perfect mood by adjusting the color temperature from warm to cool, as well as the vibrancy and saturation of their lights.
- Lutron shades seamlessly provide privacy while balancing exposure to daylight in the bathroom.
- Sonos speakers with an Arc soundbar tune every stay to the right beat with access to any genre, album, artist, or song. Whether a guest is watching TV or listening to music, the room will be filled with immersive and impeccable surround sound.
- Samsung’s Frame TV transforms from an art piece to a high performance 4K QLED display when guests are ready to watch their favorite content.
- DISH TV offers guests a fully integrated live entertainment experience with the power of voice or tactile control. Watching favorite channels, shows, sports, and movies has never been easier.